Seattle Astronomical Society - Board Meeting 28 July 2003


Contents

    Action Items
    Minutes
        Approval of Minutes
        Trailfest Report
        Seattle Night Out
        VP Education Report
        Speaker Ken Croswell
        Ideas for Speakers
        Treasurer's Report
        Mary's Report

 

Action Items

     Owner Item
- No action items--have a fun August!

 

Minutes

The meeting started at 7:30 pm. (Telescope move delayed things a bit)

 

Approval of Minutes

The June board minutes were approved.

 

Trailfest Report

There was a good turnout from the general public at Trailfest. Several people visited the booth, and some also came to the following Saturday's star party.

The Mountaineers have approached us about the possibility of a star party at Snoqualmie Lodge. There was some question about the seeing conditions there--possibly worse than Greenlake?

 

Seattle Night Out

Rick Libsack noted that Seattle Night Out was being held in early August. There is one evening where the Seattle Police ask everyone to turn on their exterior lights at 8pm. Rick pointed out that we might want to try to make a tie-in to dark-sky-friendly lighting. It is too late to get involved this year, but it was an idea for next.

 

VP Education Report

Mike Langley gave a brief rundown of our experiences at the UW Observatory so far.

Ana would prefer just 1 or 2 SAS volunteers at the observatory. For one thing, it is physically a small space and there isn't much room for more people. Also, we want to make sure that we stay in a clear supporting role for the UW undergraduates.

There was a problem with one member of the SAS (not an official volunteer) who continually interrupted the SAS volunteer training and the undergraduate Q&A sessions. Ana was quite concerned and emailed Stephen Van Rompaey directly.

Steve has talked to Ana, and made it clear that the member is not a volunteer. Steve will also follow up with the member.

Mike also noted that the UW would like our help promoting and volunteering scopes for the Martian Party on September 3rd.

 

Speaker Ken Croswell

Rick mentioned that Ken Croswell (famous speaker on the topic of Mars) was interested in speaking at our November meeting. Ken demands a modest speaking fee, which is within our budget but we typically don't pay for monthly speakers. We agreed to try to get Ken for the January banquet, and if that didn't work to fall back to the November meeting.

 

Ideas for Speakers

One common theme that we hear from many members is the desire for more topics on practical observing, rather than the more theoretical talks we've had lately. There was a feeling that the topics lately have been "unbalanced" with too many "professors."

Rick noted that he was going to aim for speakers with more practical topics for the future.

 

Treasurer's Report

Jim Peterson reported that the SAS has $2369 in checking, and $5719 in savings. As noted at previous meetings, S&T subscriptions have gone up $3 per year, and Astronomy magazine is expected to follow.

 

Mary's Report

Mary Ingersoll reported that the SAS made a $25 profit on the previous sale of shirts. Based on the demand, we agreed that another run of shirts was in order. Mary will start taking orders now.

 

8:30 - Meeting Ends